Wednesday, July 28, 2010

The Legend of Saint Christopher

It's vacation time around here, which means we have been traveling almost everyday to find some nearby fun.
Today we enjoyed a nice quiet afternoon, so I thought it would be a perfect day to learn about Saint Christopher, the patron saint of travelers.
I got out our Catholic Mosaic by Cay Gibson and the Fenestrae Fidei: A Coloring Companion for Catholic Mosaic.
I read and discussed with the kids The Legend of Saint Christopher by Margaret Hodges.
We are also loving the Loyola Treasury of Saints.
In the legend, Christopher carries the Christ child across a deep and wild river. When they get across, Jesus tells Christopher who He is. Christopher doesn't really believe Jesus, so Jesus tells him to take his staff and plant it beside his door, in the morning it would be growing, with flowers and fruit and vines.
Cay suggested as an activity to have the kids plant their own "staff" and decorate it with vines and flowers.
This was the perfect activity to a slow afternoon.

I couldn't have done it without Danny's help---I was out-numbered.


Mark wins the prize for the tallest staff!!
Our backyard now has 4 great looking Saint Christopher staffs!
I'm sure Saint Christopher is proud.

1 comment:

Michele said...

I love this idea! Found you by blog hopping. I'd never seen one from the Catholic perspective. My kiddos go to our Catholic parish school, but this would be a perfect project for us to do! Thanks & keep up the great work, Michele