Thursday, March 4, 2010

stART: Mmm Cookies!! by Robert Munsch




One of the authors we enjoy the most is Robert Munsch, and this week we read Mmm Cookies!! over and over again. In this story a boy makes cookies out of "play clay" and then tricks his parents into eating the cookies. Their response is an amusing, "YUCK!PWAH!SPLITCH!PLAY CLAY! GLA-GLA-GLA-GLA!!" As in most Robert Munsch books, my littles love the repetition, and are soon "reading" along with great gusto!!
The boy eventually get tricked into taking a bite of a "play clay" cookie and learns his lesson, but in the end, he and his classmates make a real cookie--which his silly parents are afraid to eat.
While the kids were preoccupied, I made a batch of real sugar cookie dough and then colored it with food coloring. Boy, did it look like the playdough I often make. When I showed it to the kids, Luke kept sniffing it to make sure it was edible.
I divided the dough between the three kids and then they proceeded to make their colorful cookies.
Luke and Kim pressed pieces of dough into pie plates. Make sure to spray the pie plate with non-stick spray--I didn't and it was hard to get the cookies out of the pan.
I loved the colorful look of the cookies.
We then liberally sprinkled sugar crystals on our creations.
Some of us sprinkled more liberally than others.
Bake at 350 degrees for about 15 minutes--I just kept checking on them for doneness.
They just looked sooooo cool!!
"It's not time to eat our cookies yet, Grace! We need more decorating!"
I frosted Luke and Kim's cookies and then provided the embelishments.
You can't have too many toppings, especially after seeing the great cookies in the book.
Gracie frosted her own cookie----I love the tongue of concentration!


Now THAT IS A COOKIE!!!
Make sure to check out more stART activities at A Mommy's Adventure.

14 comments:

Rhonda said...

That is just the best looking cookies! I loved Gracie's look of concentration while decorating hers. So cute. You are such a good momma.

Momrempel said...

Awesome post! Mmmmm Cookies is one of my favorite Robert Munsch books! I love that he is Canadian too!

Stacy said...

Oh, my daughter would LOVE this book! And yummm! Who doesn't like cookies, right?!

Mama to 5 said...

yummy! What fun! My boys would love that! What a nice blog - 1st time visiting! :) <><
Nicole

Unknown said...

oh my goodness those look great! What a great stArt! I am a new follower, Nice to meet you!

Bran said...

I need to check out that book from the library, it looks so fun! Love the activity.

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

Excellent project, and book! I love that the sugar cookie dough looked so much like play dough - how perfect for the story :)

sbswtp said...

What a fantastic project. They look great!!!!

melaniet42 said...

What cool looking cookies - I bet they tasted great too!!

Madonna said...

I love how colorful the cookies turned out. The project looked like a lot of fun.

Unknown said...

Those look better than the BIG cookies at the mall- yum! yum!

Brimful Curiosities said...

Lots of work went into those, but it looks like such fun!

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

This is such a fantastic story stretcher - your cookie dough looked completely like a playdough. I am motivated to try it here - thanks for an inspiration!

Michelle said...

Oh wow, so much fun!!! Emily would love to make these. Thank you for linking up to stART :0)