Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Reusuable Mazes for Preschoolers



My preschoolers around here love to do mazes, and I am forever printing mazes off the internet only to have them completed in minutes and the kids asking for more.
I came up with a solution to this problem which I thought others may like to use with their own preschoolers.
I have printed easy mazes from the internet, laminated them and then bound them together with big key rings, forming a reusable book. The laminate is perfect for dry erase markers.

This group of mazes have a "spring" theme. I plan on other seasonal themes as the year rolls on.

Luke is an expert at completing mazes.
Kimberly does surprisingly well. She will be 3 in May and she especially loves the mazes with an easy path. I found this Dora the Explorer maze here.
Good job, Kimberly!
You can see the key rings above. I used a hole punch to make the holes.
I found most of the printables at DLTK Kids. They provide a large assortment of mazes all put into categories--this is a super resource for very easy mazes!

12 comments:

Charlotte (WaltzingM) said...

Very cute!

Anonymous said...

What an awesome idea! My in-laws gave me a laminator for Christmas - yet another wonderful use.

Anonymous said...

Great idea! Thanks for sharing!

KackyK

Jennifer said...

I've been reading your blog for a couple of months now and am absolutely addicted. I first came your way to check out the money lapbook which I completed with my daughter. She loves the pet shop money cards. She even plays with them with her friends when they come over. I was wondering what you use for laminating? I used contact paper. It worked but wrinkled some. So any reccommendations would be appreciated. Thanks.

Maryan said...

What a great idea Joann!!

jen mackintosh said...

This is great, Joann! I love this idea!! I can't wait to see what fun spring stuff I can find to print and laminate for my little guy!!! What a great travel book this would make! You're awesome!

Christy Killoran said...

I will definitely do this. I am always printing mazes for my 4 year old. Also, I never even thought about finding easier mazes for my almost 3 year old. She will love the Dora maze. Thanks.

Rhonda said...

You are just so crafty! This is a wonderful idea!

Melissa said...

What a fantastic idea! I need to make a book like this for my little girl. Thanks!

Theresa said...

Great idea! Think I'll make one for my grandsons.

Shannon said...

My son is really into mazes right now. I'm going to find some fun mazes to print off. Thanks for a great idea!

Roz said...

If you don't have a laminator and don't want to be bothered with contac paper.. just slide mazes on both sides inside sheet protectors. I have been doing it for years and letting the children use dry erase pens or those new dry erase crayons. They can do them over and over this way. Try letting them do them over and over with different colors. They love it! You can buy one maze book and tear it up or you can download the many there are on the internet. Give them a tissue or wipe or piece of felt to erase. They must be erased after using or they eventually stain.