Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Long-Weekly Unplugged Project: String Easter Egg Decorations


We made string Easter eggs.
I have been wanting to do this craft for some time now, and it seemed to fit nicely in the "long" theme.

For this project you need:
"long" pieces of cotton yarn
water balloons
1 part white glue to 1 part water
Cut the yarn in 12 t0 18 inch lengths.

Put the yarn into the glue/water mixture. Make sure the yarn is very saturated and then with your fingers, wipe the remaining glue off.
I liked using water balloons because they seemed to be the size I wanted my eggs to be, but you could use any size balloon.

Tie the balloon with thread and hang it up, (we just tacked it into the ceiling-this made it very easy to work on.)
Wrap pieces of yarn around and around the balloon--it is pretty messy--we hung our balloons right over the table to catch the mess.

Becky was very creative, and instead of just wrapping the yarn any which way, she wound the yarn around the balloon.

Let this hang and dry for about 24 hours.

After completely dry, pop the balloon. The egg makes the most wonderful crackling noise when the yarn releases from the balloon.

Hang them up and enjoy!!

Make sure to check out all of this weeks Unplugged projects.

Next weeks theme is : BOOKS

I shared this project over at the We Made It: Saturday Showcase. Make sure to check out all of this weeks great crafts.

14 comments:

Ladybug Mommy Maria said...

Nice job, Joann!

Charlotte (WaltzingM) said...

Oh that looks fun! I have a ton of brightly colored yarn scraps that are just dying to be used up! Thanks for the idea.

Mary G said...

Ooo, I love this idea ... sounds perfect for Holy Week fun!

THANKS for posting lovely pictures!

Jennifer Gregory Miller said...

These are so lovely and colorful! I made these ages ago with my sisters with crochet thread, and while the glue is wet sprinkled fine glitter. Lacy and sparkly!

Denice said...

i followed your link from tot school. i have 12 kids so i feel like we are kindred spirits! at least i know we both love kids! thanks for the cute ideas. we are definately going to try the easter egg string craft and will be cruising your blog for lots of other ideas.

Anonymous said...

Love it!! Now I want to make these too! ( I love messy crafts!)

Anonymous said...

Aaron would like to see a picture of Becky's egg. Very pretty. Kim

Nicki said...

I saw this on another blog somewhere, and I am definitely planning on trying it out the week before Easter!

jennwa said...

They turned out great. So pretty for Easter.

Thanks for linking, have a great weekend.

Denise said...

Gooey, messy, and beautiful--sounds like my kind of craft! My big girl will love this.

atelierlemlem said...

these eggs look wonderful! And, that muddy glue is lovely to work with, great craft idea!!

Life is Good said...

I love the Easter Eggs!

Anna said...

This is a great idea! I'm definitely going to do this with my team!
Thanks for showing!!!

Lisa said...

Oooh, fun! Great craft idea!