Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Back to School

Well, the inevidable has happened...we are back to school. We knew it was bound to happen but we still hoped that it wouldn't.
I, myself, am happy to be back to something that somewhat resembles a routine.
Over the Christams break, while browsing Barnes and Noble, I found this lovely version of Peter and the Wolf. It also includes a cd. So now we are all ready to learn about the orchestra.

I checked this book out of the library and I am going to pick and choose different sections of the book to learn about. This book covers a lot of information, composers, different musical eras, and instruments of the orchestra. We are going to concentrate on musical instruments of the orchestra.

Some of Gracie's schoolwork over the next week is going to include learning her "color" words. We started by making a colorful ice cream cone. Everyday, as she learns a new color word, she will add a scoop to the cone. Soon Grace will have a tall ice-cream cone labeled with all of her new words. I will keep this visual display up so that it will serve as a reminder of her words as she comes to them in her reading.

You may also be interested in the great resources that I found to help Grace with her words. DLTK Color Buddies has many worksheets and activities that I am just printing out which I find very helpful to re-enforce her learning. Some of the activies are geared more toward preschoolers learning their colors, but I just tweak them a little and they are perfect for Grace.

2 comments:

His Servant: Ann Kraeger said...

While learning about the instruments of the orchestra, would you care to have a set of coloring sheets that picture a very simple outline of a child playing each type of instrument? I used these sheets for my kids. They enjoyed them very much. We also used them along with a recording of Peter and the Wolf. Give me a call if you are interested.

Lisa said...

Boy, you're ahead of me, I'm afraid! But, I'm inspired by your plans! We'll be getting back on game next week.